Wednesday, May 5, 2010

The Romance

In the Spring of 2002 I was working at a local grocery store as a cashier. Also in the evenings I took night classes for culinary Arts so I could become a chef in my own restaurant. We still argue over it years past as to where we saw each other first, but I guess that matters little. He was working in the seafood department of the same store and taking classes of his own in Computer Science.

Being the shy type it took him weeks to even say hello to me. It wasn't until he moved up front with me to being a cashier that I let him off the hook to break the ice and I struck up the first conversation.

Before long though we were fast friends always taking our break together at work and sometimes meeting after work to spend some time together. When I joined the Navy I encouraged him also so we could go to boot camp together, but he decided to go Air Force instead. Traitor! :) I didn't succeed in becoming the New Navy's finest but he pulled through his training and went on to becoming a fine serviceman.

While he was in school we talked everyday. It was hard being away from him all the time but we managed. Always talking on the phone until the wee hours of the morning and e-mailing constantly. He came home every Christmas and vacation he could and our relationship grew to something more than friends.

While he was stationed in Denver Colorado, I visited and never left for we were married that week. August 22, 2007. We later realized that it was also his parents wedding anniversary so now we have something to celebrate with them every year.

1 comment: